Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Katniss Cowl

I don't often find time to blog two days in a row. Sunday night we had ice and then snow on top of ice so I haven't left home since Sunday. The mailman hasn't delivered mail for two days and I couldn't make it to jury duty today. However, I am catching up on UFO's, Ravelry projects, photoshoots, and blogging.

My daughter loves The Hunger Games and really wanted to knit a cowl similar to the one that Katniss Everdeen wore in the movie. We found a pattern on Ravelry and I helped her start it back in January. It was a quick, chunky yarn kind of knit but she would get busy with classes and put it aside for a week or so. Then we would have to reacquaint ourselves with the pattern and knit a few more rows. I helped her refashion the neck section last night to a more wearable version of the Katniss cowl and she was able to quickly finish it up. This post is a little heavy on pictures but it was good to get out of the house so we really enjoyed the photoshoot in the snow covered field, or should I say, District 12!

Katniss cowl
Ravelry Link


Katniss cowl pattern
Katniss cowl
Katniss cowl pattern
Katniss cowl

If you would like to knit your own Katniss cowl, check out these links.....

Katharina Schnorr's blog

Pattern Information on Ravelry.com

My Katniss cowl and project notes on Ravelry

I'd love to see pics of your Katniss cowl!


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and definitely alike the one in the movie. Can you tell me exactly where you found the pattern? It's seems like you used large needles... must have been relatively quick to knit. I'd like to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and questions! I added a few links to the end of the post which will give you lots of information about this cowl. We used size 13 needles which makes this a pretty quick knit. There is a mistake in the chart for the back so I made a reverse copy of the front chart and it worked out great.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for all the information. My biggest needles are size 8... I guess I'll have to go shopping. In your pictures, the collar seems to have been knitted while in the pattern there's a double cord collar with yarn looped around fabric. Yours looks more supple. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right about the collar. After picking up stitches for the cowl collar, we did the following:

      Knit 4 rows
      Purl 4 rows
      Knit 4 rows
      Purl 4 rows
      Bind off in purl

      We did not add any type of cord but got a similar look. It's much softer. So it isn't an exact replica but much more wearable. We used 3 skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in the grey marble colorway.

      Delete
  3. Como podría obtenerlo he tratado de afiliarme a Raverly pero no lo logro será que pudiera dar el paso a paso me encantaría realizarlo gracias de antemano

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!