Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Hayden

In a few short months, I'll need to update the "About Me" on my blog. I can hang on to the 50 something for just a little while longer, but wife and mother will need to be changed to wife, mother, and grandmother!
Woo Hoo! Yep, a little grandson is on his way!

My sewing room looks a little different now. Minky, ribbon, flannel, cotton chenille, etc. One of the first things I pulled from my stash was this Tiny Toon fat quarter pack which I bought a few years ago just because I thought it was cute. I've pulled it out over the years, stared at it, and put it back in the closet. Finally, a project came to mind for Baby Hayden and this is what evolved.

Tiny Tunes baby quilt

I used the stitch in the ditch method to quilt the floor mat sized quilt, stitching around each block. For the binding, I cut the backing fabric larger and brought it to the front, turning under the edge and stitching.

Tiny Tunes baby quilt

With the leftover scraps of fabric, I made little soft blocks and balls. I added ribbons to the football because, apparently, taggie toys are good for babies.

Soft baby toys

Then, of course, we had  to have taggie blankets. This is just a small blanket, about 15" by 15" for Hayden to hold and feel the different textures and grasp the ribbons. The black fabric is minky and the print is flannel.

taggie blanket

My grandma sewing is somewhat on hold now because I still don't have my Bernina embroidery system back from the Bernina repairman. I drove 75 miles last week to pick it up, brought it home and it still doesn't work. I drove the 75 miles to take it back and now I'm waiting for my phone to ring with the message that it is working perfectly and I can pick it up. Needless to say, I'm getting a little frustrated!





4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Sewing for babies/kids is so quick and so gratifyingly fun. Can't wait to see what cute things you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see this is going to be fun. Lots of projects spinning in my head!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Being a grandmother is wonderful. And it's sew fun to sew for babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And, yes, it is especially fun to sew for babies!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!