Wednesday, August 13, 2014

JanMade Labels

I have had this little project spinning around in my head for a few years. I've googled, and pondered, and analyzed, and tried to decide what kind of labels I need for my sewing projects. I knew that I wanted the labels to match the font on my blog header. I also wanted them to be simple. I finally decided to create a sheet of labels on Microsoft Word and print them on fabric sheets. I experimented with spacing so that I could fold the labels and insert in a seam, or, press the edges under all around the label and stitch directly on my sewing project.

I used June Tailor Sew-In Colorfast Fabric Sheets For Ink Jet Printers. They were about $10 for 3 sheets at Hancock Fabrics and I used a 40% off coupon. That is over 100 labels for $6! There are instructions included for making the labels colorfast. 

June Tailor fabric labels

I did a little stash-busting and made my son-in-law a pair of shorts with the fabric he picked out last year in Hawaii when I promised to make everyone something if they would let me stay a while in the fabric shop. I inserted my tag in the back of the waist. The shorts haven't been laundered yet. I'm hoping the little tag doesn't fade.

fabric sewing labels

Hawaii shorts




5 comments:

  1. Great labels! I did this about a year ago, worked out pretty well, but I only put the labels in craft projects in the end, because the edges were cranky :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if the edges would be stiff and scratchy or soften after washing. I guess son-in-law will let me know!

      Delete
  2. Your labels look good. Several years ago I designed some labels, but I never printed them. You'll have to let me know how they hold up after washing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!